Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Portland and Gifford Pinchot FS Roads

Heading out from the Poodle Dog in Fife, Elise on the Intruder and Dave on the Busa, we hit 503 through Yelm and Rainier.

Some good twisties and a nice alternative to taking 5 the whole way. Missed the turn to keep on 503 so we just hit 5 down to Chehalis and hooked up with Hwy 603.



This was a new favorite for me, slight inclines but twisty and lot's of farm land to roll through.



To make time in Winlock, and because I couldn't find the road I wanted, we hit the 5 into Portland.



Stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown for my Aunts birthday party at Kells. The parentals headed to bed.

Dave and I enjoyed Portland's more liberal views regarding booze and the pole.
Drunken tacos at 3am we headed to bed.

In the morning (ok afternoon) we headed up the 14 to connect to Carson. The forest service roads through Gifford Pinchot are my new favorites in Washington.



I love the 25 that connects all the way through to Randle. Just make sure you get gas in Carson. Carson to Randle is about 80 miles without gas. Views of volcanoes and snow capped mountains, birds flying over head, and very little traffic.



The Intruder felt great being weightless and I practiced leaning into the twisties at 60-70mph. Also been stickin my knee out a bit to really lean into it.

The last 10 miles of the 25 is really rough and I sure felt it in the tatas. My ass flew out the seat a few times, so watch that section.

Rendezvoused with Shaney in Randle who was out riding a Bremerton to 12 loop, we hit the 7 in Morton and enjoyed the nice twisties the 7 has to offer.



Quick stop just north of Elbe to the metal sculpture garden, one of my favorite local roadside attractions, we snapped some pics and chased the sun outta there.







At dusk we hit Eatonville area and the temps dropped suddenly. That was one of the coldest rides I've ever done. We were not dressed properly and when Shaney and I stopped at a light on 99, she mentioned that her legs were shaking from the shivers. We had a good laugh as we warmed up on the engine blocks and were still in good spirits - happy to be enjoying one of the last good weekends that 2009 had to offer.



A long hot shower at home and a big smile on my face, I cracked open a beer and thanked the summer.

That was a good season.

Click for full route information

No comments: